On a small island, there is a close relationship between the various organisms of the five trophic levels. The only source of energy is sunlight with a photosynthesis efficiency of 1.5%. Determine the total annual energy of the Sun entering this ecosystem. It is known that the predators of the second order of this community can feed 45 parasites with a mass of 0.2 g each, and for 1 kg of their mass there is 5 * 10 ^ 4 kJ of energy.
1) Let’s make a diagram of the food chain of five trophic levels:
producers (organic producers) – “consumers of the 1st
order -> predators of the 1st order (consumers of the 2nd order) – »predators of the 2nd order (consumers of the 3rd order) -> parasites (consumers of the 4th order).
2) We calculate the mass of all parasites: 0.2 g x 45 = 9 g.
3) Let’s calculate how much energy is contained in the bodies of all parasites:
1000 g (1 kg) contains 5 • 104 kJ 9 g – x kJ x = 450 kJ.
3) Taking into account Lindemann’s rule (10%), let’s calculate how much energy must be stored at the first trophic level to feed the entire ecosystem:
450 kJ • 10 • 10 • 10 • 10 = 4,500,000 kJ = 4.5 • 10 ^ 6 kJ.
The obtained result is only 1.5% (according to the condition of the problem, the efficiency of photosynthesis = 1.5%).
4) We find the total annual energy of the Sun entering this ecosystem:
4.5 • 10 ^ 6 kJ corresponds to 1.5% x – 100% x = 3 • 10 ^ 8 kJ.
Answer. 3 • 10 ^ 8 kJ.
Remember: The process of learning a person lasts a lifetime. The value of the same knowledge for different people may be different, it is determined by their individual characteristics and needs. Therefore, knowledge is always needed at any age and position.