Advanced Middle Ages:
– The dominance of the religious worldview, ideology.
– 1054 – split of the Christian church:
● Eastern Orthodox Church (“praising God correctly”). headed by the Patriarch of Constantinople (Byzantium);
● Western Catholic (“worldwide”), headed by the Pope.
The reason for the split: differences in the dogmas (main provisions) of the faith and the struggle for spheres of influence.
– XI-XIII centuries. – the peak of power (huge land ownership, church tithe (1/10 of the income of Europeans), the sale of indulgences – letters of forgiveness of sins.
– The Crusades (1096–1270) – an attempt to seize Arab lands “to free the Holy Sepulcher” (unsuccessful).
Purpose: getting rid of landless knights (organized gangs, robbed on the roads); rich war booty.
Fight against heretics (dissidents, opponents of the church):
● church court – inquisition (torture, burning at the stake).
Remember: The process of learning a person lasts a lifetime. The value of the same knowledge for different people may be different, it is determined by their individual characteristics and needs. Therefore, knowledge is always needed at any age and position.