What are the three main discoveries of natural science of the 19th century that determined the formation of a modern natural-science picture of the world? If you were asked to expand this list, what other discoveries of the XIX and XX centuries. would you add to it?
1) Matthias Schleiden and Theodor Schwann, 1838-39 – the creation of cellular theory.
2) Charles Darwin, 1859 – the creation of the doctrine of the evolution of species.
3) Gregor Mendel, 1856-1863 – the discovery of the laws of crossing Mendel
One could add:
1) Thomas Morgan, 1910-1915 – the chromosome theory of heredity, which introduced some adjustments and explanations to Mendel’s laws, which allowed them to be rediscovered, which is an important discovery in the field of genetics and inheritance of traits, since by that time information about genes was already known and chromosomes.
2) Hugo de Vries-S.I. Korzhinsky, 1899-1906 – mutational theory, it allowed to resolve the contradictions in the Darwinian theory of evolution.
Remember: The process of learning a person lasts a lifetime. The value of the same knowledge for different people may be different, it is determined by their individual characteristics and needs. Therefore, knowledge is always needed at any age and position.