The representatives of the animal kingdom are studied by science – zoology.
Zoology is a biological science that studies the structure, life processes, diversity, distribution of animals and their importance in nature and human life.
Depending on the objects of study, such disciplines are distinguished in zoology as:
1. protozoology (studies unicellular animals);
Single-celled animals (on the left – Proteus amoeba, on the right – ciliate shoe)
2. helminthology (studies parasitic worms);
Parasitic worm – broad tapeworm
3. entomology (studies insects);
Different types of insects
4. arachnology (studies arachnids);
Different types of arachnids
5. ichthyology (studies fish);
Different types of fish
6. herpetology (studies amphibians and reptiles);
Amphibian representative: common garlic
Reptile representative: common viper
7. ornithology (studies birds);
Different types of birds
8. theriology (studies mammals).
There are different sections of zoology, depending on their field of study.
1. Morphology (examines the structure of animals).
2. Comparative morphology (compares the structure of different groups of animals).
3. Animal ecology (examines the relationship of animals with the environment and among themselves).
4. Ethology (studies the behavior of animals).
5. Zoogeography (studies the distribution of animals).
6. Physiology of animals (studies the vital activity of animals).
7. Systematics of animals (describes the variety of species and classifies them according to certain characteristics).
8. Paleozoology (studies animals of previous geological eras).
To organize and classify all existing animal species, the following systematic categories are used: kingdom, sub-kingdom, type, class, order, family, genus, species.